1. The Scottish Landscape Photographer of the Year ("the Competition") is an annual photography competition owned and run by Breeze Media Ltd ("the Organiser"), whose registered office is at 8 Albany Street, Edinburgh EH1 3QB.
2. Entry is open to anyone from the UK and overseas, except employees of Breeze Media Ltd, HiTech-Formatt Ltd, Fotospeed or AcademyClass Ltd or their family members or anyone else connected in any way with the Competition or helping to set up the competition.
2.1 Adult competition - Amateur and professional photographers, resident in the UK or from overseas, aged 18 and over on the closing date of the competition are eligible to enter any and/or all of the Adult classes.
2.2 Youth competition - Entrants aged 17 and under on the closing date must obtain the permission of their parent/guardian to enter the Youth Photographer section of the Competition. The Organiser reserves the right to request proof of this permission upon request. Entrants failing to provide proof of permission from their parent/guardian shall be disqualified from the competition and any prizes forfeited.
3. The Competition comprises of the overall winners award, 4 adult categories, 1 youth categories and 6 sponsored awards.
i) The Grand Title (Overall Award)
ii) Landscape Category
iii) Seascape Category
iv) Urban Category
v) The Four Seasons Awards
vi) The Young Scottish Landscape Photographer of the Year
The sponsored awards consist of:
vii) The Caledonian MacBrayne Spirit of the Sea Award (Calmac)
viii) The Loxley Colour Your Vision Award (Loxley)
ix) The Isle of Harris Distillery Hebridean Light Award (IOHD)
x) The Historic Envrionmental Scotland Award (HES)
xi) The Scottish Natural Heritage award (SNH Award)
xii) The John Muir Trust Wild Places Award (JMT)
3.1 The overall title "Scottish Landscape Photographer of the Year" shall be awarded to the entrant who, in the opinion of the judges, has submitted the best portfolio of 3 (three) images. Details can be found at: http://www.slpoty.co.uk/grand-title/
3.2 The Young Scottish Photographer of the Year will be awarded to the single best image as determined by the judges. Details can be found at: http://www.slpoty.co.uk/the-youth-title/
3.3 The winners of the Landscape, Seascape & Urban Landscape shall be awarded to the entrant who in the opinion of the judges has submitted the best single image in each category. The categories are individual categories open to entrants aged 18 and over at the closing date for entries. The categories of the Competition can be found at: http://www.slpoty.co.uk/the-categories/
3.4 The Four Seasons Award consists of four awards covering the four seasons of spring, summer, autumn and winter, and will be awarded to the entrant(s) who in the opinion of the judges has submitted the best image(s) that reflect each season.
3.5 The winners of the Calmac, IOHD, HES, Loxley, JMT and SNH awards are chosen by the individual sponsor(s).
3.6 The Young Scottish Photographer of the Year category is open to entrants aged 17 or under at the closing date for entries.
3.7 Entrants may enter as many categories as they like and can enter multiple times into any one category, upon payment of relevant entry fees.
4. The prize for each category winner can be found at: http://www.slpoty.co.uk/the-prizes/
4.1 Prize winners receive their prizes at the official opening evenings/ceremonies of the major exhibitions and should make all reasonable efforts to attend these opening nights. (Note: Prizes cannot be collected from smaller exhibition venues.) Major exhibition dates are listed on the latest news section of the website - dropdown menu. In the event a prize winner cannot attend an opening night, their prize may be collected from the exhibition venue during the run of the exhibitions. In the event a prize is not collected during the exhibition period, the Organisers will not store the prize beyond the exhibition period and it may be forfeited or disposed of. At the discretion of the competition, some prizes (e.g. books, filter kits) may be posted to the prize winner.
4.2 Cash prizes - it is a strict condition of the competition that entrants whose prize includes a cash sum, that they must claim their prize in person and provide identification before the cash portion is transferred to their Paypal account. Prize winners should make all reasonable attempts to attend and receive their prizes on the official opening dates. If the prize winner cannot attend an opening evening, they may claim their cash prize portion from the exhibition venue during the run of the exhibition. Idenifictation must be presented at the venue. NOTE: In the event that the prize winner fails to claim their cash portion during the run of the exhibitions, the cash portion of their prize is forfeited.
4.3 Further details on handover of prizes can be found on http://www.slpoty.co.uk/faqs
4.4 It is the responsibility of an entrant, on receiving prize money from the Organisers, to ensure that they comply with the tax obligations of their country of residence. The Competition accepts no liability for any failure by an entrant to comply.
5. Route to entry for the Competition and details of how to enter are via http://www.slpoty.co.uk/how-to-enter/
6.The competition opens for entry on 22nd September 2017. Closing date for entry will be midnight on 10th November 2017. After this date no further entries to the Competition will be permitted.
7. No responsibility can be accepted for entries not received for whatever reason.
8. The Organiser reserves the right to cancel or amend the Competition and these terms and conditions without notice in the event of a catastrophe, act of God or any actual or anticipated breach of any applicable law or regulation or any other event outside of the promoter’s control. Any changes to the Competition will be notified to entrants as soon as possible by the Organiser.
9. The Organiser is not responsible for inaccurate prize details supplied to any entrant by any third party or sponsor connected with this Competition.
10. No cash alternative to the prizes will be offered. The prizes are not transferable. Prizes are subject to availability and we reserve the right to substitute any prize with another of equivalent value without giving notice.
11.1 Winners - Winner(s) of each category will be chosen from a final shortlist. The shortlists occur after preliminary judging rounds have been completed. Judging is performed by a panel of judges listed at: http://www.slpoty.co.uk/the-judges/ Entrants progressing to any subsequent stage of the competition are notified by email only. See 11.3
11.2 It is the responsibility of the entrant to respond to emails sent from the Competition in a timely fashion and ensure uploads are made within competition deadlines.
11.3 Updates, Shortlist notification emails -
The judging phases occur between November - January. It is the responsibility of the entrant to monitor the following for updates during this period:
- their email, spam/junk folder
- the Competition website
- the Competition social media pages (Facebook & Twitter) where notifications will be publicised widely
- the entrant's Submittable account (see 11.4)
11.4 During the notifications period (Nov - Jan), the Organisers cannot be held liable for any notification emails, sent by the Competition, that do not arrive due to the entrant’s email spam settings, security settings or other restrictions placed by their ISP or any other reason. However, the Competition provides a backup system for entrants to "double check" during the judging phases. All emails, sent by the Competition, to the entrant, are also copied to the entrant's Submittable account, and stored under the "activity" tab of their account. Entrant's should log in to their account to check. Please refer to www.slpoty.co.uk/faqs/ for instructions.
11.5 No entries or image uploads will be accepted after any deadline has passed. No extensions will be allowed if any entrant fails to upload their images before the deadline periods close. More detailed information about shortlists, deadlines and individual judging stages and announcement of prizes can be found at http://www.slpoty.co.uk/faqs/
11.6 The organsers will not enter into any correspondence with any entrant regarding, disappointment, why they didn't win. why they didn't do better, missing deadlines for uploading or submitting images for shortlists and judging stages.
11.7 Proof of electronic submission is not held as proof of receipt by the Organisers.
11.8 The Organisers cannot accept liablility for any hurt feelings, disappointment, loss, damage or injury incurred as a result of participation in, or other involvement with, the Competition.
11.9 The Organisers cannot be held responsible for damage to any computers or other technical equipment relating to, or resulting from participation in the Competition or from the download of materials connected to the Competition.
12.1 The winner(s), runner(s) up and commended entrant(s) will be notified by email and/or letter/telephone within 21 days of the completion of the judging. If any winner, runner up or commended entrant cannot be contacted or does not acknowledge their award/prize within 7 days of notification, the Organiser reserves the right to withdraw their prize/award and pick a replacement.
13.1 The Organiser will notify the winner(s) when and where the prize can be collected. Delivery and/or collection of prizes may be subject to delays in manufacturing or availability of materials/availability outwith the Organisers control. The Organisers cannot be held responsible for such delays or failures. Whilst the Organisers shall endeavour to expedite delivery of prizes, no guarantee of delivery is given and the Organisers will not be bound to offer equivalent or alternative prizes.
13.2 Prize notifications - once any winner, runner up and/or commended entrant has received notification of their prize, the notification is STRICTLY CONFIDENTIAL. Entrants should not disclose their success to any party, friends, family or post on social media until AFTER the official notification. If any winner, runner up, commended entrant has found to have leaked details about their success, the Organisers reserve the right to disqualify that entrant, exclude that entrant from all publicity through the Competition and award their prize to another entrant.
14. Copyright & permissions. The Copyright of each image is retained by its respective photographer. Each entrant confirms and warrants that:
i) they own the copyright and all IP rights of each image submitted to the competition;
ii) they are the sole author of each entry and it is their own original work;
iii) they have obtained all necessary permissions from the owner(s) of any property, structures and/or buildings included in their images for usage rights required by the competition and will indemnify the Organisers and/or Sponsors against any claims made by any 3rd parties in respect of such infringement.
iv) they have not licensed images or disposed of any rights that would conflict with publicity and/or promotion of the Competition
15. Publicity, media, usage & reproduction. Entrants agree to the use of his/her name and image(s) in any post publicity material of the Competition without compensation. Entrants grant the Organisers and its sponsors a non-exclusive, irrevocable licence to publish, reproduce, enlarge and/or exhibit, on any media, the images for any purpose connected with the Competition. This may include, but is not limited to:
i) publicity in press, promotional and marketing materials in hard copy or digital media;
ii) inclusion in the Competition book, calendar & postcards in hard copy or digital media;
iii) on the Competition website and on the websites of sponsors;
iv) on display at public exhibitions, public electronic displays;
v) on social and print media used by the Organisers & sponsors;
vi) promotional merchandise, products in official shops endorsed by the Competition.
15.1 Use of branding by entrants for publicity and commercial purposes. Entrants may use the Competition branding and the term "The Scottish Landscape Photographer of the Year" alongside their award titles to promote their images, products and services for sale and resale from their own personal websites, personal endeavours and personal businesses only. Entrants may not give permission to non-sponsor businesses, non sponsor companies, third parties, other photographers, retail shops & outlets or websites to sell their images, products and services using the Competition's branding or the term "The Scottish Landscape Photographer of the Year" without permission of the Competition and its sponsors. Non-sponsor businesses, non-sponsor companies, third parties, other photographers, retail shops & outlets or websites may not use the term "The Scottish Landscape Photographer of the Year" or its branding to sell images from the competition, books or other materials without the express permission of the Competition.
15.2 Media use of images from the competition for publication in newspapers, magazines, online websites & social media etc. Permission should be sought prior to any publication unless a press release has been sent to the media outlet. All articles should include a hyperlink to the Competition website and/or a link to the official Competition social media channels. All published images should credit the photographer using the © sign followed by the photographer's name and/or "The Scottish Landscape Photographer of the Year". Images supplied for publication (or review) in any printed, online or interactive media should not be overlaid with any form of advertising or product placement. Images supplied for publication (or review) in any online media should not be overlaid with surveys, popups or any form of clickbait that forces the visitor to click or partake in such before the image can be viewed. Images supplied for publication in any print or online media should be used in the context of the Competition only - i.e. images should not be used for promotion of products, political or religious content of any form. Note: Improper use of images or failure to attribute the photographer and/or the Competition as set out above may result in the media outlet being invoiced for use of images at commercial rates.
15.3 Exhibition prints - all prints from all exhibitions will be disposed of on completion of the exhibition periods. Any photographer whose image has been displayed at an exhibition, wishing to claim their print may do so by notifying the Organisers before the exhibition finishes. Photographers must arrange to collect their print in person and/or arrange delivery at their own cost. The organisers will not store any print for any photographer beyond the exhibition dates. Prints will be supplied strictly in "as is" condition, minus any mounts, frames or competition branding. The Competition accepts no responsibility for any damage to prints during dismantling or delivery.
16. By entering this Competition, an entrant is indicating his/her agreement to be bound by these terms and conditions. It is the responsibility of each entrant to ensure that they have read and will abide by the Rules of the Competition. By submitting an entry, each entrant agrees to the Rules, that their entry complies with the Rules, and that they will be liable to the Owners and their licensees in respect of any damages or losses incurred as a breach of the Rules by the entrant.
17. The Organisers reserve the right not to award prizes and will disqualify and remove any image or photographer from the Competition that it feels may breach the rules, laws and/or bye-laws, offer inducements, offer services, collude with judges, bring the Organisers, the entrant, the Competition, or any of its sponsors into disrepute. Such entries will be deemed as void and any fees paid will not be refunded.
18. The Organisers reserve the right not to award prizes and will disqualify and remove any image that appear to exhibit damage to the landscape, flora & fauna, property, commit trespass and/or violate the terms and conditions of any local bye-laws and/or the Scottish Outdoor Access Code. Such entries will be deemed as void and any fees paid will not be refunded.
19. The Organiser’s decision in respect of all matters to do with the Competition will be final and no correspondence will be entered into.
20. The Competition and these terms and conditions will be governed by Scots law and any disputes will be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of Scotland.